This treat is so good, we've even made it in the winter! We make the brownie rounds by adapting our dark chocolate brownie recipe, but you can experiment with any brownie recipe, baking them in individual round pans.
Makes 8 sandwiches
Prep Time: 40 min
Cooking Time: 35 min
115 g (4 oz) bittersweet dark chocolate (55% cocoa)
80 g (1/3 cup) salted butter
115 g (1⁄2 cup + 1 tbsp.) white sugar
3 tbsp. brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
60 g (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp.) all-purpose flour, sifted
200 g (7 oz) dark or milk chocolate
8 scoops of your choice of ice cream
100 g (3 1⁄2 oz) topping of choice (e.g., crushed nuts, decorative candy)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter 16 miniature muffin tins about 10 cm (4 in) in diameter, preferably silicone.
2. In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and butter completely, stirring. Add white sugar and brown sugar and let melt for a few minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Stir in eggs one at a time directly into the pan. Stir in vanilla, then flour.
4. Spread a thin layer of the mixture in each pan. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. These brownies should be a little more baked than a regular brownie, but they should still be moist. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
5. Heat the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until completely melted.
6. Crush a scoop of ice cream between two brownie slices to form a sandwich. Dip half the sandwich into melted chocolate and then coat with your chosen topping.